Followers

Wednesday 9 May 2012

Secret Project Revealed

You may remember earlier in the year I had a secret project I was working on which I finished.  Well I can now reveal what that secret project was.  Jo from Serendipitous Stitching approached myself and another friend, Hannah, to see if we would be interested in stitching on an Afghan for Dawn's (from Crafty Kitten Fabrics) baby.  We both jumped at the chance and agreed we would both stitch two squares on a six square afghan.  I'm happy to say that Dawn has now received the afghan so I can now show the pictures.  Here's the pictures of the two squares I stitched.

This is the first square I stitched and was done over 1 square.  I have a cross stitch design programme and picked a font I liked on word and translated it into cross stitch for the name and stitched it with a variegated thread.  I have to say working on the afghan was quite tricky as unless you completed one cross at a time the thread slipped under the weave.


I then chose this cute little snail from one of the cross stitching magazines.  I think it was an issue of Cross Stitcher but when I find the magazine I will put the correct details here.  As I had struggled a bit doing over one on the previous square I decided to do this one over two which in itself was a first for me as I've only done over one before.  I like to think it was a practice for the chatelaine I'm currently doing over 2.

And here is the whole afghan in all it's glory with it's gorgeous recipient Sam modelling it.


I just love his expression in this picture it's like he's saying "Ta da".  

I'd like to say here as well that my reason for stitching this for Dawn was simply because I see her as a friend.  I've only "known" her through Facebook, a joint love of HAED, and her business Crafty Kitten where she makes the most gorgeous hand dyed fabrics.  Her customer service is amazing and I'd recommend everyone to give her hand dyed fabrics a try.

So there's the reveal of my secret project finish.  Hope it was worth waiting for!

7 comments:

Miamina said...

It's beautiful, well done!

Dawn's shop is one of my favourite shops and I love her products better than some other (possibly more well known) hand dyed fabric shops. She always looks after her customers and treats them like friends.

What a lovely present for a lovely family!

mdgtjulie said...

They're both darling, Nic. I love the color you used for his name especially. I love working with variegated floss. It's so pretty!!

Catherine said...

Great project and the look on his face is priceless!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

It does look good doesn't it? LOL.
I love his name block, the colour and the font are both great choices.

Maureen said...

What a fabulous gift! and little one's expression is a hoot..

Caitlin @ Naughts Cross Stitches said...

gorgeous stitching :) so cute :)

Ewa said...

Hahaha the expression of Sam's face made me literally LOL